The "castle" is divided into 16 "rooms" arranged on a 4x4 grid.
There are 17 items spread thoughout the rooms.
Jewels are also scattered throughout the rooms.
The object of the expedition is to gather as many jewels as possible
and drop them at the entrance.
Every layout is different - the game requires lots of care and strategy to do well.
My best score so far is 129,963.
As the maximum jewel value is 4 you'll appreciate that there is more to Castle than at
Some Activity Ideas
- The game consists of rooms, objects, spells and jewels.
How many of each are there?
This will require working out what is the difference between
an object and a spell.
- There are 3 possible connections between rooms - list and name them.
- Make a list of the rooms and give them names.
Agree on the best name for each room.
- Do the same for the objects, spells and jewels.
- Make a list of all the ways you can "die" - there are only two.
- Every room and item has a purpose in the game.
Ascertain what these purposes are.
Possibly have the lists on the board and share ideas.
Note that one and only one object (the lamp) serves two purposes.
- Make a list of all the ways you can get "stuck" and be unable to proceed.
There are some subtle ones here - for example,
falling into the Jungle via the Hidden Trapdoor and not having a
or a Return to Entrance spell.
- There is a 17th room called The Secret Room.
How can it be reached?
And, once there, how do you get out again?
More importantly ... why go there?
- Come up with strategies for doing well in the game.
Group Activity Idea
Divide the class into groups of maybe 4.
Start a competition to find the
Castle Champions Group.
To encourage sharing within the group, each group's score is the total
of the individual scores.